Thursday, April 1, 2010

Why I probably won't be posting about food...

by Liz

I've never been very successful in the kitchen. My skills are pretty limited to things like using a toaster and boiling water. I certainly have tried but it always goes horribly wrong. I'd like to take you back to my elementary school days with an example of how it all started...

My friends Caroline and Beth come from a family that cooks all of its meals. They all would wake up bright and early before school and bake muffins. Breakfast in my house usually consisted of me eating whatever leftovers were in the fridge from the night before (mind you I also don't really like most breakfast foods but that's another story). Needless to say, these girls like to bake and I really like cookies, so it was a friendship destined for great things.

Our afternoon started off with the grand idea to make a batch of cookies based on the recipe on the back of the Toll House chocolate chip bag.

The recipe yielded more cookies than we wanted to make, so our first misstep was deciding to halve the recipe. I'm still not sure why I didn't protest this, who in their right mind would only make a half batch of cookies?

Guess what happens during all the excitement of baking cookies? You forget to halve the measurement of sugar. Oops.


I have a big sweet tooth, which I think I inherited from my father. We used to eat heaping bowls of Breyer's ice cream every night while watching Inspector Gadget. I know no limits.

So guess what happens when you have no portion control when it comes to cookies?

You eat WAY too many cookies.

Then on your walk home, you get ill.

Very, very ill.

In a sewage drain in the middle of your neighborhood where lots of people can see you.

My name is Liz and I have a cookie problem, nice to meet you.

So this, my friends, is where it all began. Maybe all the wonderful recipes and tasty looking food on this blog will inspire me but for now I think I will leave it to Emi, Emily, and Natalie, who are much more talented than I in the kitchen.

If you are a big risk taker and would like to try this very "complicated" recipe for the Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies, head on over here. Please remember to check all measurements before adding ingredients to the mixing bowl. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. i hope the second installation about your mishaps with food involve taco meat and new york city... just a suggestion

    ReplyDelete