Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Prettiest Towns, aka I Need to Get Out More

by Natalie

Today MSN.com ran a story about America's prettiest towns. Aside from getting me thinking about how amazing it would be to get out of the city for a few days (or weeks!), it had me wondering what pretty towns would top my own personal list. I already blogged about Chagrin Falls, OH, which would certainly make the list. So without further ado, and in no particular order, here are the rest of my favorite pretty towns.

Lewisburg, PA
Having grown up in this small college town, I can certainly say that I am biased in thinking it is one of America's prettiest spots. However, after a quick jaunt down Market street, I think you will agree. Home to historical buildings, unique gift shops, Hufnagle Park, the Susquehanna River, and of course, the famous Lewisburg streetlights, Lewisburg, PA is one for the books.


Portsmouth, NH
I was lucky enough to visit Portsmouth in February of 2009. Brick streets, old carriage homes, lots of funky shops, and plenty of amazing restaurants lend this sea town its old-timey charm. We stayed at a beautiful - and supposedly haunted - Bed and Breakfast called the Sise Inn. We didn't see any ghosts that weekend, but I won't hold that against them.


Providence, RI
Providence is a crazy place. Not only can they claim the title of one of the oldest towns in the United States, they um, sometimes light their river on fire. That's right. On FIRE. Known as the "Water Fire Festival," this tradition is actually an art installment by Barnaby Evans in 1994 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of First Night Providence. What all that means is, it's super fun. Live music, food vendors, and tons of Providence-ites make for an awesome time.

Oh yeah, and the town is pretty, too.


Marblehead, MA
Marblehead is a small, rickety town that forces you to slow down and enjoy the scenery. Pushed up against the ocean, brave-hearted folks can hop a silly safety fence and clamber around on a bunch of jagged and slippery, but very beautiful, rocks. Makes for a great photo op!


With all of that said, I am beginning to wonder...have I only visited the North East region of the US? Unfortunately, yes. Next stop, Arizona! Or Portsmouth, OR. Or Seattle, San Diego, Austin, Nashville...

Lewisburg, PA photo from city-data.com

2 comments:

  1. Definitely Austin! After going there in March, I am already thinking of when I can get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about next stop PARIS!!!

    ReplyDelete