Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Weekend Sewing

by Liz

This weekend I was lucky enough to get a spot in the Schoolhouse Tunic class at The Needle Shop. The Needle Shop is a sewing school and fabric shop in Chicago. It is probably one of my favorite places to go in the city, I could easily spend hours there looking at all the pretty fabric, books, and patterns.

The classes are phenomenal and where I've learned most of my sewing skills. Classes are limited to 4 people so you get lots of one on one instruction and leave with a complete project. There was one time I went way over the allotted time for class and my instructor stayed with me to make sure I finished and didn't have any questions. I accidentally sewed an entire tote bag using a basting stitch. If they hadn't let me fix it, I probably never would have on my own and wouldn't be able to carry anything heavy!


The Schoolhouse Tunic class was the most advanced class I've taken there. It actually spanned over two days, most classes are just 4 hours. The pattern was by Sew Liberated and was the first one of theirs that I've done before. Whenever I make shirts on my own, the sleeves always come out all wonky so I was excited to pick Rachel's (shop owner/teacher) brain.

I used a really pretty cotton voile from Anna Maria Horner's line of fabric (bought at The Needle Shop of course). It is soooo soft and buttery feeling. Its the type of fabric that is just so comfortable to wear, I'm going to have to go back and get more to make a couple more tops.

(available for purchase from The Needle Shop here)

The class went really well. We munched on snacks, talked about Modern Family and Barefoot Running Shoes, and managed to get some sewing done too! The pattern was pretty straight forward but Rachel taught us some tips for constructing clothes from commercial patterns. It has definitely given me the confidence to do some more sewing from patterns on my own.

Oh, and my shirt turned out pretty cute too!

(I promise the collar is even, I just didn't adjust my shirt before the picture. Silly me.)

After class I asked her about my Anthropologie DIY and ended up buying a pattern and fabric after class. I'm going to try to make a muslin soon so I get the real skirt right the first time. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment