Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Imaginary Best Friend, Garance Dore.

by Emi


If your a fan of street style blogs, then you of course know Garance Dore. She is the fabulous French photographer, who just happens to be dating the amazing American photographer Scott Schuman, aka The Sartorialist. Garance and Scott are really at the forefront of street style fashion blogs. It's kind of funny that they are both in the same business, with what you would think would be competing websites, but really they aren't at all. While both sites do feature mainly fashion photography, Garance writes posts to accompany her photographs. She is also an illustrator, and sometimes uses her fashion illustrations in replace of photos.

(I would love to own one of her original illustrations!)

Scott is usually a man of few words, which doesn't make his site any less interesting, I visit both sites daily, but Garance has such a cute, effervestent personality. She gets to travel the world and meet beautiful and fascinating people daily just to take their picture, but she is not jaded at all. You can tell in her posts that she is genuinely a huge fan of fashion, and is just as excited to be doing what she's doing then when she first started. I really love reading her blog. They are just so friendly and casual. One of the reasons I kind of dislike reading Vogue magazine is because its so dry. It can be like reading a textbook on fashion. There's no real personality (except for Grace Coddington of course). Garance is the opposite, she is all personality. They come across in her posts, illustrations, videos, and photographs which I think always have a incredibly flattering light to them.


(one of my personal style favs, Alexa Chung)

The women always glow in her photographs. They look so comfortable and confident, but in a natural way. I find her site very inspiring, which is probably why the other night Garance was in my dream. I dreamt that Garance, a couple of friends, and myself were going on a trip to Brazil together. I'm really not sure why in my dream we were going to Brazil, because to be honest I've never had much of an overwhelming desire to travel to South America, but that's where we were flying (Garance did go to Brazil this year with Scott and posted about it, so that might be why, maybe I liked those photos more then I realize). We all arrived at the airport together and were checking in when I realized I had basically packed nothing. In my dream I was so excited to be going on a trip with Garance that I totally forgot to pack anything. As a result the rest of my dream was spent freaking out about the fact that I had nothing to wear. I didn't actually make it to Brazil with Garance, but if I did these would be some of my dream outfits I would wear with my imaginary best friend, Garance Dore...

My just hanging around, seeing the sites outfit.
(APC striped shirt, Alexa Mulberry bag, my favorite RayBan Aviators,
Alexander Wang shoes, and a pair of jean shorts -aka-jorts!)



This would be more of a going out at night outfit.
(Steven Alan dress, Proenza Schouler PS1 bag, Dolce Vita shoes, Chanel nail polish)

All photos credits Garance Dore. Outfits compiled with the help of Polyvore.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment