Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lemons

By Emily


I've had an obsession with lemons lately. I love the look of lemons, and their versatility; the way they can can enhance the flavors of a dish ever so slightly with just a few swift microplane movements, or how they can perfume your whole apartment when roasted with onions. They have very much become a staple in my kitchen...which leads me to my latest recipe:

Roasted Striped Bass with Onions, Brussel Sprouts and Lemon

Merely a combination of random foods left in my fridge, I loosely constructed this dish from the following
recipe. First off, I never have a full fish just hanging around...but a decent sized filet was ready to go in my freezer. Second, I love how onions mix with lemons, so I omitted the garlic (which normally I would deem as sacrilege), and added one medium-sized onion. Lastly, for a pop of color, the brussel sprouts that were quickly becoming the most impatient of vegetables in my fridge, were thrown in, and proved to be an excellent additive for their heartiness and nutritional value.

The result:

My BlackBerry was very jealous that it was not absorbing as much attention as usual...

Roasted at 500 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or so, I removed the filet to allow it to cool and prevent it from overcooking. Placing the pan of lemons, onions and brussel sprouts back in the oven, I decided to keep cooking them for a bit longer, to really mix the flavors and give all ingredients their fair share of cooking.

A bit of chopped parsley later...

...Delicious. All thanks to the lemon.



2 comments: