Wednesday, March 24, 2010

French Fashion

by Liz

I've always had a fascination with French women and the way they dress. After Emi's post about Paris, perhaps this blog should be about our desire to be chic and European! As someone who is usually drawn to bright colors and loud patterns, the simplicity of this style really intrigues me. French women always look effortlessly cool and all have a certain "je ne sais quois." My dad's side of the family is French, so its about time I fully embrace it, right? Below are some sources of inspiration I've found to aid in my quest to accomplish my Francophile makeover.

Charlotte Gainsbourg is one of my major style influences. She was recently featured on WhoWhatWear on their Style Spotlight. The great thing about WhoWhatWear is that they include links to get the look, which helps me get that much closer to achieving my goal.



Besides having super cool parents Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg, her half sister Lou Doillon has a really great sense of style too. I also highly recommend you check out Charlotte's music. Her new album IRM is currently in my rotation.

I can't write about French style without mentioning Garance Dore, a Parisian street-style photographer, blogger, and illustrator.

Her photos are of stylish people from all over the world and she did a really great interview with Joanna about how to dress with French flair.

**spoiler alert**
Garance tells us the secret to Parisian perfect style - confidence!
You can read it all here.

Shortly before the interview, Joanna posted that her new year's resolution was to dress like a French woman. I hope Garance's advice helped!


But even with all the right clothes and attitude, there is still more to the look. How do I get that perfectly mussed hair? The "I always look this cool" red lips? Thankfully Lucky Magazine came to the rescue with a step-by-step guide on getting the classic French look.

Now we all just need to find the perfect striped t-shirt and we'll be on our way to looking French-girl cool!




No comments:

Post a Comment