Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ole Ole Ole!

by Emi
KAKÁ, Brazil
AGE: 28. CLUB: Real Madrid. POSITION: Attacking midfielder.


It happens once every four years, like the Olympics, but instead of skiing, swimming, gymnastic, or track, it's just soccer. It's the world's unofficial sport. I played when I was younger like most kids, but I never followed it professionally. US soccer doesn't have the same excitement as foreign football. It's become a bit of a tradition now when I travel to Europe to buy my sister a local football scarf. On recent trips I bought her a Barcelona Football Club and Milan scarf. I love scarfs, so I like the idea that you can support your favorite team with a cute scarf rather than a boring old tee shirt.

This World Cup I've been following rather closely because I'm doing a company pool. My company is European based, so most of the company participants are real football fans. I think I'm the only US based participant, and basically I'm just guessing my way through it, but it's still fun. I'm actually not doing so bad either. I'm in the top half of the the pool. I wish I could watch more of the games, but the first one starts at 7:30am and the last ones for the day all end around 4 because of the time difference. I caught Germany Vs. Australia on Sunday. It was brutal with Germany scoring four goals.

If your a World Cup newbie like myself, but are interested in the game and players you should check out this Vanity Fair article. It's an interesting article, and the photos aren't hard to look at either. Annie Leibovitz photographed them all in their underwear. Enough said.

DEJAN STANKOVIC, Serbia.
AGE: 31. CLUB: Inter Milan. POSITION: Midfielder.
CARLTON COLE, England.
AGE: 26. CLUB: West Ham United. POSITION: Strike
DIDIER DROGBA, Ivory Coast
AGE: 32. CLUB: Chelsea. POSITION: Striker.

MICHAEL BALLACK, Germany.

AGE: 33. CLUB: Chelsea. POSITION: Midfielder.)


Wish me luck. I'm looking to finish first. It would be hilarious if the New York girl won the World Cup pool.

Photographs by Annie Leibovitz

No comments:

Post a Comment